- Mac OSX : version >= 10.10
- Microsoft Windows : version 7/8/10
- Adobe CC 2015 / 2017 / 2018 (see Known Limitations for CC 2014)
- ProRes : 6 official profiles (422 LT / Proxy / Normal / HQ / 4444 / XQ ) and two unofficial profiles (422 Ultra and 4444 Light). ProRes 4444 Light / 4444 / XQ supports the Alpha Channel.
- HAP GPU accelerated codecs : Hap, Hap Alpha and Hap Q, you can choose if you want to compress frames and how many chunks you need (for faster multi threaded decompression)
- x264 : best H264 / AVC implementation, outperforming both Adobe Media Encoder and QuickTime H264. A special easy-to-use Youtube Upload profile is provided.
- x265 : files are ~25% lighter than x264 for the same quality, but slower encoding
- x264 RGB : same as x264 but avoids YUV colorspace, best for storing separate channels in one video (UV map, Alphas…) for power users only.
- ProRes 422 reimports fine in Adobe softwares but with color shift on other softwares like DaVinci Resolve. Everything is fine with ProRes 4444 and you can use ProRes 4444 Light profile which should give about the same bitrate as PR 422 HQ (and better quality because of 4:4:4 sampling ) !
- Don’t use the ProRes for broadcast. Always test your hardware and software. It is a reverse engineered version of ProRes not approved by Apple ; for example ProRes 4444’s Alpha channel doesn’t seem to be accepted by Blackmagic Hyperdeck Studio Mini.
- Alpha renders (ProRes 4444 and Hap) don’t store the Alpha mode, by default when reimported the footage will be in “Straight” Mode
- There’s a slight color shift when ProRes videos are played in Quicktime Player and sometimes VLC (but no color shift when the video is re-imported in Adobe softwares)
- There seem to be an issue with High DPI screens on OSX (4K / 5K), press
SHIFT+ESC to put the window back in the top left corner
- For x264 Quality < 100 and x265, dimensions of the video must be even (=> odd resolutions will fail)
- For ProRes 422, width must be even (=> odd width will fail)
- For HAP codecs, both dimensions must be multiples of 4